Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Project Statement

Project Statement

I want to explore the relationship between the two sides to being human: the physical and the conceptual. Through my project, I want to not only locate my own place in time and space, but also explore the limits which are placed on the interactions between these two ‘personas’ so to speak. In a similar fashion to Stan Brakhage, I want to see how I can manipulate a medium, specifically video and digital photography in my case, to convey the parallel tangibility and intangibility of human existence.

I want to experiment with video, filming through physical filters such as textiles and magnifying glasses, to see what images I can create through physical manipulation of the medium rather than post-production editing, or digital enhancement. I also want to film liquids mixing with each other, a slow view of an abstract-lookinh physical process. I looked at Wolfgang Tillmans’ work in Berlin, and would like to approach video in a similar way as he approached analog photography.

I also want to document the lifespan of one of my pairs of shoes, naming the photographs after the locations in which I photographed my feet. With these photographs, I want to show that a lot of an experience is internal; I don’t reveal much of the physical surroundings in which I’m located in the shots, except for the ground on which I’m walking or standing. References could be drawn to the Bechers’ photographic work, documenting consistencies within a modern society.

My work will be subtle studies of my personal relationship to the external world, resulting in atleast two video pieces and a series of photographs.

No comments: